Wednesday, March 22, 2006

WW - New Complete Cookbook

So, since I've been talking about this thing so much I thought I'd just quickly throw on a picture of it. It's the newest book (I think) Actually, I picked it up at Costco for something like $22. So far, so good. I've managed to try out I think 4 recipes so far and the only one I didn't really like was the 'Stovetop Mac&Cheese'. Coulda just been because I don't really like Mac&Cheese on its own - but I found this flavourless, messy and a bitch to clean up.

The Parmesan-Turkey Meatloaf was excellent, I loved it. Also made the Corn and Bacon Chowder which was something I also enjoyed, though it took a lot longer then I thought it would - lots of small steps it felt like, and a lot of dishes - but worth it in the end. And like I was saying, I tried the Southern Over 'Fried' Chicken tonight and it was really good too. So, I've decided to share it with you all:

Southern Oven "Fried" Chicken
Makes 4 Servings.

1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
1/2 cup cornflakes, crushed
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp pepper
2 pounds chicken parts, skinned (I just used chicken breasts)
4 Tsp canola oil (I think you can use any oil, though I had canola)

1) Preheat over to 400F; Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Pour buttermilk into a large shallow bowl.
3) On sheet of wax paper, combine cornflakes, flour, salt & pepper.
4) Dip chicken in buttermilk, then dredge in cornflake mixture - coat completely.
5) Lay chicken on baking sheet; drizzle with oil.
6) Bake 30 minutes.
7) Turn chicken, bake until cooked through. (15-20minutes)

5pnts for about two pieces it says - Just divide what you've cooked into 4 equal servings, and each equals 5pnts. That's just easier. ~winks~ I really liked this meal, and am taking leftovers to work for lunch tomorrow to have with a pita and some salad. Should be good. Only thing I can say is if your breasts are thin - which is how I like mine - don't over cook them or they get too dry. Also, don't forget the oil! I think it plays a fairly large roll in the final flavor of the meal.

I'd say all the meals I've made so far have been pretty easy. I mean, I don't mind cooking, and I know how to cook - but I find the book gives you all the details, so there's really nothing to it. The other thing I like about the book is that it gives you a index to read from, with markers for meals under 5pnts per serving, spicy dishes and also a little symbol for dishes that take under 20 minutes to prepare. I think there's something about the Core Plan in there also. Plus, throughout the book it talks about food, hints on cooking, what types of things work, etc, etc. For $22 - it provides me with ideas for low point meals that I might not have thought of on my own - and that's worth it for me. Anything to keep me from falling into my habit of eating the same thing day in and day out.

Ok, I'm off to bed now. Have a lovely sleep everyone. Mood is better - btw. ~winks~

2 comments:

Michelle said...

copied that..looks yum.

glad the mood is better. :)

Living to Feel Good said...

Ohhhh a parmesan turkey meatloaf. That's not the same meatloaf I was talking about. I was talking about a different book too. The book I thought you were talking about is "everyone loves chicken", and that book is pretty good. I just bought the newest one "Stir it up" which I also like and it just came out 3 weeks ago. I've notice that they have different cookbook at the book store than they do at the meetings. At the meetings you can get great books for 9.95! I'm going to try your recipe you typed up soon. Sounds good!!!